Nov 20, 2018
Foley & Palenscar works with clients during the divorce process. Here are some helpful homeowners insurance tips for divorcing couples:
- If either spouse moves out of the house (e.g. into an apartment), that person must obtain a new policy in their name as the home policy does not 'follow them' to their new residence.
- Even if a spouse moves out, the named insured(s) on the policy should remain 'as is' unless ownership of the home changes.
- If the home is owned by the spouse who moves out and the divorce is finalized, a new type of policy may be required (dwelling fire policy).
- In the event the house is sold from both spouses to one spouse, it is important to notify your home insurer to ensure the home is insured correctly and the mailing address is accurate.
- Scheduled items such as jewelry, artwork, musical instruments and silver should be listed on the appropriate policy. Obtaining new appraisals is recommended to ensure there is sufficient coverage in the event of a loss.